Even when I don’t see you, You’re working. Even when I don’t feel you, You’re working. You never stop, You never stop working.“Way Maker” by Leeland
When you reveal your scars…that is when people can relate.Living By Grace
I still remember praying for you to enter my life. I waited over a year to see that positive sign letting me know that I was carrying you. I can recall the immeasurable joy I felt the day you came into this world, and I was able to hold you for the first time.
The first few weeks were not easy. I was thankful for your Grandma Ruth who decided to stay that first week. The first night home, you cried the entire night. I will never forget the soft knock on the bedroom door early the next morning. Grandma Ruth was standing there. I was crying and saying how you didn’t sleep at all that night. She replied in a soft and understanding voice, “Give him to me and go sleep.” That is exactly what I did. She showered your dad and I with wisdom that first week and looking back, I believe her calming presence gave me reassurance that I could do this whole mommy thing.
Now here we are, thirteen years later, and I am asking myself, “How has it gone so fast?”
You are a special young man, Noah. From an early age, you exhibited compassion, empathy, and kindness toward others. You have always had this inner wisdom of who God is and have demonstrated through your actions that you do listen to His soft whisper of how you should live your life.
I want to share with you some bits of wisdom as you enter your teenage years. The first being that I know you may find this post embarrassing and may even feel that my wisdom doesn’t apply to you. I know this because I thought the same thing when my parents had this talk. Trust me when I say that there will come a day that you will say, ‘my parents were right’.
The next few are important, so listen up.
- Seek God. You will be faced with many choices as you navigate your teenage years. Before you make any decision, seek God’s guidance first.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take.Proverbs 3:5-6
- Do not let others define who you are. You were born with your own strengths and weaknesses. You were meant to be different from others around you, and that is absolutely ok. Never squash your uniqueness in order to be like someone else.
For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared before hand, that we should walk in them.Ephesians 2:10
- Lead by example. You will be challenged to follow the crowd. Your friends may choose different paths, and deep down you may be torn to follow them or choose to remain true to who you are. Dear Noah, you are a leader and not a follower. Always remember that.
Get the word out. Teach all these things. And don’t let anyone put you down because you are young. Teach believers with your life: by word, by demeanor, by love, by faith, by integrity.1 Timothy 4: 11 (Msg)
- It is ok that not everyone likes you. That’s right…you will have people who don’t like you. It will seem unfair and it will hurt your feelings. They may not even try to get to know you and you probably won’t understand why. Don’t waste your time on the opinions of others. Stay true to yourself and know that their opinions of you are their issues and not yours.
The fear of human opinion disables; trusting in God will protect you from that.Proverbs 29:25 (Msg)
- Choose your circle wisely. People change and grow. That is a part of life. You may find that you and some friends will grow apart and although that may seem hard, that also allows room to make new friends. My word of caution is to choose wisely, Noah. Not everyone has your best interest at heart. Surround yourself with those you can trust and who encourage you.
Wise friends make you wise. But you hurt yourself by going around with fools.Proverbs 13:20
- Talk to your dad and I. This will be the hardest advice to follow. You will feel invincible and that you know more than we do, BUT…. you don’t. I want you to know that no matter the problem you have, even if you feel it is due to a bad choice you make, that you can always come to us. We love you unconditionally, which means that there is NOTHING you can do to make us love you any less. That does not mean that there may not be consequences, but it does mean that we will not leave you to work through it alone. We will encourage you and help guide you back on the right path.
Do you think anyone is going to be able to drive a wedge between us and Christ’s love for us? There is no way! Not trouble, not hard times, not hatred, not hunger, not homelessness, not bullying threats, not backstabbing, not even the worst sins listed in Scripture…None of this fazes us because Jesus loves us.Romans 8: 38-39 (Msg)
Lastly, Noah… Have fun!! Enjoy this time. Don’t rush these years. Don’t wish them away. These next several years may be some of the best of your lifetime. You will have new experiences, make lasting memories, and learn many lessons. Live each day to the fullest and don’t worry about tomorrow.
I am beyond proud to call you my son. You make each day fun by your many impressions, your talent of acting out scenes from your favorite movies, and your dance moves (that you clearly got from me!) I love you my Noah. You are and will always be…
Shame is a deceiver whispering the worst to you when God longs for you to live with the best of him. Shame has no place for the woman of faith, the woman who knows her worth.Tiffany Bluhm, 21 Days to Thrive by 45
Looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.
Hebrews 12:2 ESV
It is so easy to go our own way. We want what our hearts desire, but we fail to hold up those desires to God’s truth. Sometimes our desires can cause us to wander away from God. So today be intentional on asking God for his counsel and following His will for your life.
Being a woman of God isn’t a passive call. We must determine in our hearts to run, pursue, fight, and hold tight. Eternal life is in the balance and witnesses are watching.LGG, Choose Brave study
My Easter now looks different. My family and I would wake up, head to church for the Easter egg hunt and then worship. Later on we would head to my mom’s for Easter dinner and probably have another egg hunt. It was a day filled with family activities. Now, I have shared time with my boys, church is taking place online, the egg hunt will be at my home, and there is no more Easter dinner at my mom’s.
It is easy to allow the circumstances around you to affect how you feel and what you do. Honestly, for a brief moment, I wanted to wallow in my hurt, anger, and sadness for what is now lost. I guess I could still do that, but I would be missing what Easter is truly all about…
Our Heavenly Father sees our sufferings. He has felt our sufferings. He died for our sufferings that resulted from our sins. He laid in a tomb for three days, and then He was resurrected. It is in the resurrection of Jesus that we can find hope.
I have come into the world as light, so that whoever believes in me may not remain in darkness.John 12:46 ESV
Although the life we live here will have many hardships and leave us questioning why things happen; we, as believers in the death and resurrection of Jesus, know that the battle has been won. Our sins have been washed away. We have hope that one day we will live in eternity with our Lord and Savior. We know that all our pain and suffering will end.
He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.Revelation 21:4 ESV
If you haven’t accepted Christ as your Savior. If you have been longing for the hope that there is a future where all our struggles and tears will be no more..
..then I ask that you call on the One who keeps hope alive.
And it shall come to pass that everyone who calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.’Acts 2:21 ESV